Wednesday, May 8, 2013

Is new Adobe monetization a bad thing?

When I heard that Adobe switches from selling copies of their software to charging subscription for using it, my first thought was "WTF? They want even more money?", and I was quite dissapointed.

But then I thought that, actually, this way it becomes cheaper. Let's count, Photoshop Extended costed, if I'm right, 1000$. With 20$/month subscription for the same money you have 50 months, or more than 4 years of using it. And it seems cheaper then buying new version every few years. Especially with the fact that you can skip payment when you don't use it (if you go for a vacation, or for whatever reason).

This was my second thought. But after that came the third one. Maybe, this will turn even better then expected? Previously, to earn money, Adobe had to constantly release new versions of their software. And to be able to do this, I believe, they had to leave different bugs and flaws to be able to fix them in next versions and make people want to buy them. Also, I guess, they did not implement all new features at once, so some are left for new versions. Now, when they don't have to do this, maybe they will concentrate on creating fully quality and flawless software. If it's true I'd be very glad.

Well, all this is just my guess, but for me it looks quite likely.

No comments:

Post a Comment